Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"San Ramon" pencil









Today I had a student come up to me and ask for a favor. He handed me a Catholic prayer card that was written in Spanish and asked me if I could draw a picture of the saint on the front of the card. Obviously I said yes. The student sat by me and talked as I drew. His mother is from Mexico City and comes from a devout Catholic family. He spoke about his proud Mexican heritage and family who still are in Mexico. You could tell that this was an important part of his life. I was impressed by his maturity in discussing these things.

I am certainly not well versed in Catholicism, I still have no idea who San Ramon is. Most of my knowledge comes from the images of Catholicism found through out the history of art and my interactions with people of that faith. I must admit that I have always been struck by the iconic images of devotion found through out religious history. Especially images from medieval and renaissance Europe. This is why you are seeing a white Mormon boy sketching images that some would consider foreign to his faith.

1 comment:

MamaBug said...

I thinks it's cool he would ask you to do this for him. :)