Sunday, August 1, 2010

Yes I missed making a post yesterday!!!
I was out of town in "rural" country for a family reunion.

These are some photos that I took this weekend of the old milk barn on my grandparents farm.
I remember getting up early in the morning to help my grandma herd the cows to the coral to be milked by my grandpa. It was a small barn, we could only milk 4 cows at a time.
I was fascinated
by watching the milk travel from the milking machine through tubes into the oth
er room where it went into the bulk tank. We would skim the cream from the top of the milk and give it to the cats to enjoy. One of my chores that I distinctly remember is clean-up the barn after milking. This basically entailed me shoveling out a lot of manure.
Not the most pleasant job, but an important one. I think that I was given that job specifically to learn one of "life lessons". And trust me, those lessons are still used in dealing with the "manure" that life likes to dish out.

1 comment:

John & Britta said...

I love these pictures of the milk barn! I remember watching the milk go through the tubes also but I wasn't as involved as you in helping.